SSP @ NM Tech Open House Day
On Saturday, July 5, 2014, join us on the New Mexico Tech campus in Socorro for a full day of stimulating interaction with SSP students, faculty, and alumni.
The schedule outline:
- 11:30 - 12:00 Welcome & sign-in: Fidel Center lobby
- 12:00 - 1:00 Lunch with students and faculty: Fidel Center dining area
- 1:00 - 2:30 College Roundtable
- 3:00 - 4:30 Open discussion with alumni and Trustees on SSP and its future
- 4:30 - 5:30 break
- 5:30 - 7:00 Reception and dinner
- 7:00 - 9:00 After-dinner program, including guest lecture by Dr. Nina Lanza, Post-Doctoral Researcher, Los Alamos National Lab: "One Martian Year with the Curiosity Rover"
- 9:00 - 10:00 Stargazing at Etscorn Observatory
Open House Day is free to parents, alumni, and friends of SSP, and their families (children are welcome). Donations to defray the cost of the meals ($25 per person) will be gratefully accepted.
If you plan to attend, you must RSVP online no later than midnight on July 1. An accurate advance head count is necessary to plan the meals.
For a good combination of amenities and value, we recommend the the Econolodge (505-835-1500). Mention the Summer Science Program at New Mexico Tech to get a discounted rate. The Holiday Inn Express is a little nicer and more expensive.
Socorro is on Interstate 25, 70 miles south of Albuquerque. From either Albuquerque or Las Cruces: take I-25 to exit #150, US 60 / California St. Go south less than a mile, then turn right (toward the mountain) at the second light, on Bullock Ave.
Half a mile further you will cross Leroy Place and enter the New Mexico Tech campus. Continue on Bullock Ave. The street will soon start to curve to the left in a loop around central campus, changing its name to Olive Drive. Follow the loop around. There is a stop sign at Canyon Rd. Continue straight.
Look for a sign on the left for Fidel Center, then turn into the parking lot. If you reach Campus Drive, you passed it, so turn around.
(No parking permits are required on this campus!)
A campus map is here. The campus address is 801 Leroy Place, Socorro, NM 87801.
Questions? Email info [at] summerscience.org.