SSP @ NM Tech Open House Day
On Saturday, July 6, 2013, join us on the New Mexico Tech campus in Socorro for a full day of stimulating interaction with SSP students, faculty, and alumni.
The schedule outline:
- 11:30 - 12:00 Welcome & sign-in: Fidel Center lobby
- 12:00 - 1:00 Lunch with students and faculty: Fidel Center dining area
- 1:00 - 2:30 Annual Membership meeting: announcement of Trustee election results, Faculty and Trustee Q&A with parents and alumni
- 3:00 - 5:00 Softball challenge, students vs. alumni
- 6:00 - 7:00 Reception and dinner
- 7:00 - 9:00 After-dinner program, including guest lecture on "Disaster Science Fiction" by Mika McKinnon '00, writer for Physics Today
- 9:00 - 10:00 Stargazing at Etscorn Observatory
Admission is free and donations appreciated. If you plan to attend, you must RSVP online no later than midnight on July 2. An accurate advance head count is necessary to plan the meals.
For a good combination of amenities and value, we recommend the the Econolodge (505-835-1500), near campus on California St. (US 60). Mention the Summer Science Program at New Mexico Tech to get a discounted rate.
Reunion Day is free to alumni and friends of SSP, and their families (children are welcome). Donations to defray the cost of the meals ($25 per person) will be gratefully accepted -- either by regular donation, or by cash or check at the registration table.
Socorro is on Interstate 25, 70 miles south of Albuquerque. From either Albuquerque or Las Cruces: take I-25 to exit #150, US 60 / California St. Go south less than a mile, then turn right (toward the mountain) at the second light, on Bullock Ave.
Half a mile further you will cross Leroy Place and enter the New Mexico Tech campus. Continue on Bullock Ave. The street will soon start to curve to the left in a loop around central campus, changing its name to Olive Drive. Follow the loop around. There is a stop sign at Canyon Rd. Continue straight.
Look for a sign on the left for Fidel Center, then turn into the parking lot. If you reach Campus Drive, you passed it, so turn around.
(No parking permits are required on this campus!)
A campus map is here. The campus address is 801 Leroy Place, Socorro, NM 87801.
Questions? Email info [at] summerscience.org.