How to Apply
When applications are open:
- Decide whether you would rather do Astrophysics or Biochemistry. You may only apply to one.
- Register and begin the online forms: Applicant Information, Test Scores, Short Answers. You may log in and edit each of these until the deadline.
- Request evaluations from two or three teachers, counselors, or other adults using the online or paper form.
- Ask your school to send us an official transcript showing your coursework and grades for the past two years or more. We prefer that your school send your official transcript directly to us by mail or email. We will accept an official transcript mailed by you if it is printed and sealed in a letterhead envelope by your school. If the transcript does not include your classes and grades from the current school year (fall semester and in progress), we will need a report of those, which may come from you directly. The same goes for any test scores (PSAT, SAT, SAT subjects, ACT, AP, TOEFL): if they are listed on your transcript, fine, otherwise you must send us copies of your reports. We will accept scans of printed reports or screen shots of online reports, but make sure your name is shown! No particular tests are required.
- Check the status page and follow directions there to ensure your application is complete.
- Look for a decision by mid-March for international students and mid-April for US students
- Feb. 3, 2017 for applicants attending school outside the U.S.
- March 3, 2017 for applicants attending school within the U.S.
Deadlines apply to receipt (not postmark) of all required application parts by 11:59 pm Pacific time. There is no application fee. Materials may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to:
Summer Science Program
2054 Kildaire Farm Rd #416
Cary, NC 27518
Choosing a campus
SSP in Astrophysics takes place on two campuses, New Mexico Tech in Socorro and Univ. of Colorado at Boulder. The dates are offset by one week. The research and facilities are largely identical. If applying to the Astrophysics program, you will indicate on the form whether you are applying for a particular campus only, or either campus, with an optional preference. Your chance of admission will be somewhat higher if you can attend either campus, since one may fill before the other.